Tuesday 4 December 2012

The Fifty Seventh Doodle

Share the Mo...Love.

So during November I signed up to this fab website, Gallery Of Mo. The idea behind this site was to give creative people (such as moi) a chance to use our skills to help raise money to battle testicular and prostate cancer in association with Movember. What a great idea!

So I got a request for a Mo'trait (haaa) from a chap who donated to the charity, and I did it in this gritty sort of style, almost like an old cowboy Western wanted poster. It's amazing what happens when you slosh a bit of tea on something! The chap I did it for was super chuffed with it too, I believe his exact words were “I love it! Totally awesome :-D” - not bad that! It's always a bit scary doing a portrait for someone, as you can worry that as hard as you try and apply yourself, they may not like the result. Do you flatter them a bit, but risk the image not actually looking like them? Or do you go for as close to their features as you can, and risk them going 'oh, I don't look like that'. Yes mate, sorry, but you do.

Tricky.

Thankfully with this one I had no issues; I kept the line work simple and stuck to the main distinguishing features (the big, dark eyes, the mouth with tash and the hair) , and deliberately kept it dark and gritty. I must admit boys are easier than ladies, as in general they are not as bothered about being shown in their best light; they just want a cool image of themselves that actually looks like them. God bless 'em.

Once I had the line-work and the hair painted in, I went to town on the tea. I love tea, both to drink and to chuck on pictures. Love that shit. It adds this wonderful texture and those bronze or brown colours that adds the feeling of age and depth. If you haven't before, I highly recommend throwing tea on some paper and then drawing on it, or sloshing it all over something you've already done. You never know.

You can still request your own Mo'trait here, just donate to this great cause and get your own unique picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment