Sunday 9 December 2012

The Fifty Ninth Doodle

So I recently went to a free life drawing class in Shoreditch at the Vintage Emporium and Coffee House, a really cosy and lovely place. And awesome coffee cake nom nom.

My friend took me as a sort of birthday prezzy, and it was so nice going along with someone else. I usually go alone as none of my friends are so keen on drawing, so this was a nice change!


We all sat on our mismatched, vintage chairs and doodled this one lady for various amounts of times in various positions. I just worked in pencil, and as always I really enjoyed it. It is excellent drawing practise and helps pull your eye back in. Also, you don't have to take it too seriously, especially as it's a free event!



Some sketches were literally done in 1 – 3 minutes, so they are obviously far looser, and focus mainly on shape and posture.


With others we had more time, and could focus on the girls features, the shading and details. I was actually really pleased with this last image as hands annoy me intensely (as they do all artists I'm sure) yet I felt I was able to capture not only her facial expression and pose, but her slim hands too. She was a very slender lady, with almost waspish features, so this made her very interesting to draw.

All in all, a great evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment