Tuesday 21 August 2012

The Forty-First Doodle (sort of...)

Oh Wuss 'n Boots, how I love you so. 

For those of you who don't know, I have been drawing Wuss 'n Boots since 1998. So, what, 14 years. Since I was 11. Mental.

I know some people know what it's like to be completely dedicated to one thing for so long from a young age; sports men and woman, musicians, other artists. But even I am baffled when I see it written down. I have been drawing these characters since I was 11. That's one hell of a long time.

Of course, they have developed and changed dramatically over the years. But what surprises me when I think about it is the fact that their personalities have rung true for so very long. Yes, there have been moments of shock in behaviour (oh my, I'm talking about them as if they're real) but in essence, they still behave the same as they did when I was 11, 16, 21. They have come and gone as I have grown up, but they are always there, sat in the back of my head. Funny stuff happens and I am instantly converting it into a cartoon in my head. How would the boys react to this? What would they say.

Mental right?

Perhaps I see little change because, when you get down to it, they are each one half of me. And noticing change in yourself is tricky. Boots is sarcastic, sometimes withdrawn, a little proud. Wuss is silly, imaginative, thoughtful. Sometimes I feel like every reaction I have is not mine, but theirs.

Mind you, neither of them can draw to save their lives.

So this here Wuss 'n Boots desk was made as a gift for my fab baby niece. If you are interested (even if you're not, I'm saying it anyway) it was done with acrylics on wood, and took 2 days all in all. See how clever I am, do I get a lolly?

I love that, while the boys can be very sarcastic or a little cruel in their humour and observations at times (yes, blame me for that too), they can also be all about joy. Just pure, unadulterated joy. 'Cause what's wrong with that ey?  


No comments:

Post a Comment