Monday 16 July 2012

The Thirty Fourth Doodle

Quite often I will do a design for one of the Creative Allies competitions, mainly as it's good practise, and it's just another way of getting your work out there like.

So this one came from my doodle of the lady with tattoos (see the Thirtieth Doodle) and I worked on it for this longboard design for the band My Darkest Days. Blue and purple seem to be rocking my world lately, so I'm going with it. I sat staring at this for ages once I had the line drawing in place, wondering what to do. Full colour fill? Just a background? If so, what? Space is limited, and I hate fussy and cramped. So I started experimenting, and almost fell into this design. The overlapping colours with obvious brush strokes and watercolour effects (because they ARE watercolours) seemed to compliment the hard drawing of the girl and her tattoo, and you're never quite sure if the colour is over or under her. I like that slight confusion. I LIKE TO BAFFLE YOU.

This piece was also featured in the Editors' Picks Gallery (cool), see it here - http://creativeallies.com/galleries/1w6-Editors-Picks-My-Darkest-Days-Sick-Twisted-Affair

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    I love this design and the splash of colours, I like to think the paint is over her but that might just be my one track mind....your doodles are really inspiring!

    Keep up the good fun, peace.

    Ricky Joyce
    Owner and Founder of Switch Studio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ricky,

    Thanks very much, I'm really chuffed you like my work! I do generally love just chucking paint around and seeing what happens haha.

    Loving your website by the way, you guys are based in Leicester? I'm from Melton Mowbray originally (ahh the land of pork pies!)

    ReplyDelete