Friday 21 February 2014

The One Hundred and Fifteenth Doodle - A metal gig in The Borderline

The Borderline by Ruth Joyce
Right, so, I don't claim to know lots about music. I just know what I like and what I don't like. That's just how it is; and I like a good ol' dose of metal-y madness. Seen as my resolution for 2014 was to do illustrated reviews of cool stuff I see and do around this bangin' town of Londinium, gigs are well and truly up there. Especially smaller gigs with ridiculously hard working bands, sloggin' away trying to carve out their own niche- I totally feel that.

So me and the fella put on our glad rags (and by glad rags, I mean I cracked out the black glittery Vans. I know right, I'm so pimp) and shimmied down to The Borderline to watch Chapters, Idiom and Rise To Remain- a cracking line-up if ever I saw one.
Chapters by Ruth Joyce

This was the come back gig for Chapters after getting a new drummer and guitarist; we walked in just after they started and they were shredding it - beautifully intricate, melodic, heavy and changeable songs along with epic, punch-you-in-the-face-and-call-you-a-muppet vocals. The lead singer Nally was admittedly knackered, and though you could see it in between the songs, you didn't see (smell?!) a whiff of it while they performed. The drummer literally made the whole process look effortless, how the bloody hell do you do that man?! I'd have drowned in my own sweat after two of their epic songs. Considering Chapters have two new members, they seemed pretty tight from where we were standing. I say standing. I mean head flinging. Smashing stuff.

Idiom by Ruth Joyce


Next up were Idiom. They are one of the most energetic bands I've seen in a very long time, their intensity was infectious and outrageous. Apart from some mixing issues that meant the vocals were often a bit drowned out by the drums and guitar (not sure who was doing the mix but it was slightly off) the songs were punchy and raw and we couldn't help but bounce around like loonies. The lead guitarist Kris was a musical menace, and genuinely filled me with a mixture of fear and awe with his craaaaazy eyes and insane finger work - he looked like he'd slice a nasty ass riff off for 10 minutes, jump off stage and headbutt an OAP. And his hair was beautiful. What a guy. Matt, the singer, was asked to show us his tits twice, to which he humbly obliged. Sexual. 


So there's always pressure on the headline act to smash it, and I don't know what you guys think but I reckon Rise To Remain smashed it pretty bloody hard! Another outrageously energetic live act, RTR had some lush vocals and another ridiculous lead guitarist (who kept going cross-eyed and pulling faces at us while he melted our faces with his playing, love a bit of tha'). Apart from a wee incident involving a swinging mic and a collision with the guitarist (slight lols there) there were all so on form, and looked like they were really bloody enjoying themselves. I know it sounds stupid, but crowds notice that stuff, it's important. And speaking of crowds, it started to get mosh-y and nuts about half way through the set, with skinny boys in low cut vests crowd-surfing their way on to the stage, and sweaty hands reaching out desperately to grab literally any part of Austin. I did hear a lovely quote on the way out - 'Oh my god man, Austin like had his hand on my shoulder for ages, it was amazing.' Having a big metal head bloke in this 30's swoon over being touched for a few moments is a fairly good sign you're getting some pretty dedicated followers!

As the gig ended we scuttled off into the night, cradling our vibrating eardrums and discussing which flavour pasta we'd have back home (so rock 'n' roll), as well as OBVIOUSLY ragin' about how much fun we'd had. I'm sure we'll see all you guys again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment